Saturday, June 5, 2010

Just started my first pair of sock!!!

Yeap. It's going well so far but i just finished the cuff and I'm starting the pattern rows next. The pattern is http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/08/30/earl_grey.html and they'll end up being for me assuming they fit. These are sort of warm up socks, I got some Felici Sock yarn from knit picks in the Time Traveler colorway, the yarn I'm using for these socks I picked up ages ago on sale, it's also self striping but due to the sale it was a lot cheaper and I don't like it nearly as much as the Felici. I just don't want to start on the Felici and have to learn on that and possibly frog a few times or something like that. When I do get around to the Felici though i'll probaby end up using the same pattern, since I like it and I have 4 balls of it, so that should be enough for 2 pairs so I can do the first in this pattern and when I get a bit more advanced with sock knitting I can do something a bit crazier with the other 2 or whatever I have left over.

Also just ordered a cheap drop spindle and some roving from etsy to give spinning a "whorl." Yeah it was lame but it's ok because nobody really reads this aside from my girlfriend and she probably won't get it anyway. I've wanted to try spinning for quite some time, just never got around to it. I'd like to get a wheel but at this point I don't really have the space or money to get one, aside from which I should probably give a drop spindle a try first to see if I like it since it cost me $3 (and that's after shipping) rather than well over $200-$400 for a wheel just to find out that I don't really like it or something and end up just knitting with bought yarn anyway. I'm still keeping my eyes peeled on craigslist and ebay and maybe if I'm lucky I'll run across a sweet deal on a used wheel, but in the mean time I'll give the spindle a try. Thinking about actually getting a kick wheel/mother marion as the next step instead of jumping right from spindle to wheel, but we'll see.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I'm incredibly impressed that you are a guy and a knitter - now I can reassure my boyfriend that its not just for chicks! You rock!

Kyle said...

thanks very much. i have only met a couple guys that knit but we are out there!